Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oh my I haven't posted in so long and so much has happened.

The main thing I have been dealing with is a knee issue, which I think is IT band related. 3 days after my marathon I slowly started easing back into a running plan and did a total weekly mileage of 15miles. Then the 2nd week I started to experience knee pain on the outside of my right knee. the pain started after about 3miles and consistently got worse has I tried to run thru it. I never had any injury before, so I am not sure how this one happened? Maybe the long Shaganappi down hill at the 20mile mark in the marathon did something? I'm just so confused? I have been trying to run and stopping has soon has I feel pain and then cross-training. I have been icing, foam rolling and at least resting from running, (still cross-training which does not bother it?). I am very worried and upset since I feel like all my hard work since last September will now be lost! I felt so driven to train hard for this up coming Victoria marathon, where I hoped to qualify for Boston!  But, now I don't know whats going to happen? I want to be proactive, so I booked an appt with the "Calgary running injury Clinic". Hopefully they can find the root of the injury and determine the optimal treatment for it so I can get back to the joy of running :)...I miss it so much!!!!! Today was a 6am spin class and a 3 mile run/walk (some knee pain at end). Then ice. foam roller and compression.

I hope everyone's training  is going well and you stay injury free. If you have any suggestion for me please let me know..Thanks

Cheers
Barb

4 comments:

  1. I do hope the Injury clinic gets to the source of the problem. As you know, I thought my injury was the IT band, but it wasn't at all, so it's good to get some help. Keep me posted! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne!

    my appt is on the 28th so I will fill you in on the details later next week! Fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers and toes are crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had similar knee issues. These options helped me.

    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/2010/10/reducing-knee-pain.html

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete