Thursday, January 28, 2010

Refueling after a run..especially a winter run!

Type: Run
Planned duration: 0:27
Planned distance:  3.0 miles
Today's workout was a run of 3 miles at a comfortable pace, which went very well..finished in 24 minutes...beat my planned time of 27 minutes!

Weights: Legs (35 minutes of intervals)

Fueling when you return from your run???... especially a cold winter run!!

My passion is nutrition...I love it and live for it! I even have a Bsc (Nutrition), however I work with my Bsc (pharmacy) . I am constantly craving new knowledge and info about eating healthy and improving ones health.
With my new love for running comes my venture for finding information on fueling the body with the essential nutrients required for maximum performance will ensuring running success! My newest find is Hemp Seeds
They are  full of essential fatty acids as well as essential minerals and vitamins ideal for post-race recovery. What makes hemp seeds the ideal post-race nutritional powerhouse is their protein content. When it comes to protein sources, hemp outpaces most animal-based sources, pound for pound. According to a study published by Manitoba Harvest, hemp protein powder contains 50 percent protein by weight. Compare that to 35 percent for soybeans, 27 percent in beef and 26 percent in fish. Tofu--a common protein source for vegetarians--contains only 8 percent protein, according to the same study.

The ideal way to refuel within 20 minutes after your run is to have a complete protein source in a liquid form, such as a smoothie. Then enjoy a larger meal two hours after your run, full of essential fatty acids, complex carbohydrates, and complete proteins. This will ensure you are ready to give it everything you've got during the next run.

a great example of a post run smoothie (drink within 1st 20 minutes after your run/workout) is like the one I had this morning...;o)...which my hubby prepared for me while I jumped in for a quick shower !

 Mrs BB's Banana Raspberry Hemp Smoothie
Add to blender :
1 ripe organic bananna
2 Tbsp Organic Hemp Seeds
1 tsp organic flaxseeds
0.5 cup Plain organic yogurt
0.5 cup frozen organic raspberries
0.5 cup cooled steeped organic green tea
ice cubes

Then a great example of a larger meal two hours after your run...this is my favorite and yes I had this today too! right before heading off to work :) Cheers

Mrs BB's Healthy Egg  mic-muffin and tangerines

 1 Ezekiel  toasted English Muffin (complete carb)
1 full egg + 1 egg white fried dry in non stick pan (complete protein)
and I usually take my  fish oil supplements after this meal to get mores essential fatty acids

No comments:

Post a Comment