Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Long and Icy














Type: run
Planned duration: 11miles...Actual 11.01 miles am (9:47 pace)

Type: Hike
Planned duration: 1hr....Actual time 1:15mins 7pm with Tikka


Ice fog again!!!

 I got up at 6am and saw the ice fog.....@(*&^ $^%$%...Sorry,  I am not a vulgar person, but  ice fog brings the worse out in me! and on my scheduled long day!!!!NOOooo.

So, treadmill it is or must be...I got dressed in my shorts and tank top and made coffee and browsed through my movies to see what I could use as a distraction while I was on the treadmill! Well by 6:30am I had convince myself  that there was no way I was gong to do my 11 miles on the treadmill,  even if there was ice fog!

Ah ah moment... I AM a runner...I had this overwhelming determination, dedication,.....or just plan crazy feeling that outweighed my dreadful feeling towards ice fog. So, I quickly got my outside gear on, since shorts and ice fog don't mix well, and out the door I ran...and almost feel down my front stairs! It was quite the  giggle scene from the people waiting for the bus by my house!!! Yes there was ice everywhere...(Stairs, driveway, sidewalks, street.....there was no escaping it). I was still determined, so I went back in the house grabbed my essentials that weren't already attached to me (like garmin and ipod)

coffee----for the drive to...there is a bath room at Edworthy, where I start ;)
water---hydration
dates--- fuel...ate 1 every 2.5 miles (only on runs longer than 1.2hrs)
Smoothie + Cottage cheese prepack + spoon---post run snack

.....and drove to Edworthy Park, hoping that the trails there would be less icy with all the commuters that may have traveled it already. I was right!!!!!!

What a great 11 mile run-click here to see route. Douglas Fir trail portion was very icy on my way back, the middle section of the trail was very slippery, some sections were total blocks of 5-6 ft sheets of ice making me pay attention to where my footing was and totally slowing my pace for about 1.5 miles, but that was during the last 2.5 miles! So overall a good run considering. My pace was 9:47 which was were I wanted it (about 60 secs slower than my target race pace). 14 more weeks :)

Cheers and Happy Running
Barb

2 comments:

  1. Barb,

    Good for you for finding a way to make sure you get that run done! I feel the same way about long treadmill runs!

    A heads up about Edworthy! Us lady runners have been advised a few times over the last couple of years not to run alone on the west side of the river by Edworthy and Douglas Fir. There have been a number of attacks in that area with the latest that I know off being about a year ago a lady was running alone on the west side about 6:30 - 7:00 am on a weekday and was attacked by a fellow she believed to be a commuter on a bike. The news even said there was a boot camp class taking place in the park close by and never heard a thing. Be careful when you are in that area alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the heads up!I "REALLY" appreciate that! I had no idea! You know it did cross my mind that it was a bit secluded on that side of the river when I was running, but, I shrugged it of as me being too paranoid...
    I don't normally run that side of the river by myself, but with these long runs coming up in my training I am finding it hard to figure out where to go without going around in circles for 2-3 hours lol! I usually feel safe with my dog in tow, but she shuts down after about mile 8 :). Its so unfortunate and maddening that as women we have to be so limited and cautious due to some crazy people!

    Thanks again
    Barb

    ReplyDelete